Welcome to AutoBoardz.com!
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      ProfileProfile    Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in

leak in heater

 
   AutoBoardz (Home) -> Saab RSS
Next:  2004 Saab 9-3 Tire Pressure System Failure  
Author Message
mdb

External


Since: Mar 02, 2005
Posts: 15



(Msg. 1) Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:16 am
Post subject: leak in heater
Archived from groups: alt>autos>saab (more info?)

My 97 9000 Aero has, I think, developed a leak in or near the heater core.
Two major symptoms bring me to this conclusion. First, I can smell
anti-freeze in the car when the heat is turned on. No such smell in the
summertime. Second, when I come back to the car after it has been operated
then parked for a while, I find a film on the windshield right above the
defroster outlet on the front dashboard. It does not appear while I'm
driving, just after the car has been sitting without the engine running for
a while. I can get it to dissipate just with the blower, but it takes a
while. So I'm guessing that I have either a leaking hose or heater core and
nothing is easy to get to. One other item that I could fix at the same time
would be a squeaky blower motor, probably the bearing. What do you think I
should plan on replacing to take care of everything? Are those symptoms
indicative of a faulty core? or just a hose? I buy my parts online and would
like to have everything on hand before I start the job.

Thanks.

Michael

 >> Stay informed about: leak in heater 
Back to top
Login to vote
yaofeng

External


Since: Mar 06, 2005
Posts: 105



(Msg. 2) Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:45 am
Post subject: Re: leak in heater [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Nov 8, 2:16 pm, "mdb" wrote:
> My 97 9000 Aero has, I think, developed a leak in or near the heater core.
> Two major symptoms bring me to this conclusion. First, I can smell
> anti-freeze in the car when the heat is turned on. No such smell in the
> summertime. Second, when I come back to the car after it has been operated
> then parked for a while, I find a film on the windshield right above the
> defroster outlet on the front dashboard. It does not appear while I'm
> driving, just after the car has been sitting without the engine running for
> a while. I can get it to dissipate just with the blower, but it takes a
> while. So I'm guessing that I have either a leaking hose or heater core and
> nothing is easy to get to. One other item that I could fix at the same time
> would be a squeaky blower motor, probably the bearing. What do you think I
> should plan on replacing to take care of everything? Are those symptoms
> indicative of a faulty core? or just a hose? I buy my parts online and would
> like to have everything on hand before I start the job.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Michael

You can wait for the symptom to worsen to make sure. It appears to be
the heater core. Replacing it is not too difficult. Many write-ups
are available. I had one experience two years ago I think I removed
the blower motor three times in the course of a week and a half to
diagnose a bad blower motor. I became so good at it I pulled and
intalled the blower motor and housing in half an hour the third time.
The first time took 2 hours. The second 45 minutes. The blower motor
housing is locked in place on the firewall by two plastic snap locks.
For first timers it may be frustrating to remove it.

Practice makes perfection.

 >> Stay informed about: leak in heater 
Back to top
Login to vote
yaofeng

External


Since: Mar 06, 2005
Posts: 105



(Msg. 3) Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:07 am
Post subject: Re: leak in heater [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Nov 9, 6:54 pm, "Charles C."
wrote:
> yaofeng wrote:
>
> > On Nov 8, 2:16 pm, "mdb" wrote:
> >> My 97 9000 Aero has, I think, developed a leak in or near the heater core.
> >> Two major symptoms bring me to this conclusion. First, I can smell
> >> anti-freeze in the car when the heat is turned on. No such smell in the
> >> summertime. Second, when I come back to the car after it has been operated
> >> then parked for a while, I find a film on the windshield right above the
> >> defroster outlet on the front dashboard. It does not appear while I'm
> >> driving, just after the car has been sitting without the engine running for
> >> a while. I can get it to dissipate just with the blower, but it takes a
> >> while. So I'm guessing that I have either a leaking hose or heater core and
> >> nothing is easy to get to. One other item that I could fix at the same time
> >> would be a squeaky blower motor, probably the bearing. What do you think I
> >> should plan on replacing to take care of everything? Are those symptoms
> >> indicative of a faulty core? or just a hose? I buy my parts online and would
> >> like to have everything on hand before I start the job.
>
> >> Thanks.
>
> >> Michael
>
> > You can wait for the symptom to worsen to make sure. It appears to be
> > the heater core. Replacing it is not too difficult. Many write-ups
> > are available. I had one experience two years ago I think I removed
> > the blower motor three times in the course of a week and a half to
> > diagnose a bad blower motor. I became so good at it I pulled and
> > intalled the blower motor and housing in half an hour the third time.
> > The first time took 2 hours. The second 45 minutes. The blower motor
> > housing is locked in place on the firewall by two plastic snap locks.
> > For first timers it may be frustrating to remove it.
>
> > Practice makes perfection.Can you get to the heater without having to remove all the insides of
> the car (dashboard) ?
>
> Smile
> Charles
>

It is not done from the inside. The blower motor housing is removed
from the aquarium behind the false bulkhead. And no. You have to
remove the entire torpedo to remove the blower motor. At least if
there is a way to remove the blower motor only without touching the
housing I don't know how.
 >> Stay informed about: leak in heater 
Back to top
Login to vote
Charles C.

External


Since: Nov 01, 2005
Posts: 105



(Msg. 4) Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:54 am
Post subject: Re: leak in heater [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

yaofeng wrote:
>
> On Nov 8, 2:16 pm, "mdb" wrote:
>> My 97 9000 Aero has, I think, developed a leak in or near the heater core.
>> Two major symptoms bring me to this conclusion. First, I can smell
>> anti-freeze in the car when the heat is turned on. No such smell in the
>> summertime. Second, when I come back to the car after it has been operated
>> then parked for a while, I find a film on the windshield right above the
>> defroster outlet on the front dashboard. It does not appear while I'm
>> driving, just after the car has been sitting without the engine running for
>> a while. I can get it to dissipate just with the blower, but it takes a
>> while. So I'm guessing that I have either a leaking hose or heater core and
>> nothing is easy to get to. One other item that I could fix at the same time
>> would be a squeaky blower motor, probably the bearing. What do you think I
>> should plan on replacing to take care of everything? Are those symptoms
>> indicative of a faulty core? or just a hose? I buy my parts online and would
>> like to have everything on hand before I start the job.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Michael
>
> You can wait for the symptom to worsen to make sure. It appears to be
> the heater core. Replacing it is not too difficult. Many write-ups
> are available. I had one experience two years ago I think I removed
> the blower motor three times in the course of a week and a half to
> diagnose a bad blower motor. I became so good at it I pulled and
> intalled the blower motor and housing in half an hour the third time.
> The first time took 2 hours. The second 45 minutes. The blower motor
> housing is locked in place on the firewall by two plastic snap locks.
> For first timers it may be frustrating to remove it.
>
> Practice makes perfection.
>

Can you get to the heater without having to remove all the insides of
the car (dashboard) ?

Smile
Charles

--
Please remove _removeme_ to reply.
 >> Stay informed about: leak in heater 
Back to top
Login to vote
Andrew Sinclair

External


Since: Aug 25, 2006
Posts: 3



(Msg. 5) Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:42 pm
Post subject: Re: leak in heater [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

In message ,
yaofeng writes
>It is not done from the inside. The blower motor housing is removed
>from the aquarium behind the false bulkhead. And no. You have to
>remove the entire torpedo to remove the blower motor. At least if
>there is a way to remove the blower motor only without touching the
>housing I don't know how.
Blower motor and core instructions found here - I've done it once on my
old 9000 - not easy (swearing at the right intervals helps).

http://www.saab9000.com/procedures/ventilation/blower/blower.php

If you are going to replace the core then you might as well replace the
blower motor at the same time as they have a finite life (mine went at
around 130k miles).

Cheers,

Andy
--
Andrew Sinclair http://www.smellycat.org
 >> Stay informed about: leak in heater 
Back to top
Login to vote
Nasty Bob

External


Since: Dec 31, 2005
Posts: 32



(Msg. 6) Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:05 pm
Post subject: Re: leak in heater [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

mdb wrote:
One other item that I could fix at the same time
> would be a squeaky blower motor, probably the bearing.

Hi Michael, I've got a '96 Aero & just went through the whole heater
matrix replacement thing a couple of weeks ago. The scrapes and bruises
have just about healed Wink As others have said, it's not obvious, so pay
attention to the various write-ups and you should be fine. Took me 3
hours, but reckon I could do it in under a hour now I know what to
expect.

The squeaking by the way.. are you sure it's not the little air temp
sensor fan behind the plastic grille on your dash?? These are notorious
for squeaking / chirping, but can be easily cleaned / oiled Smile
 >> Stay informed about: leak in heater 
Back to top
Login to vote
Nasty Bob

External


Since: Dec 31, 2005
Posts: 32



(Msg. 7) Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:22 pm
Post subject: Re: leak in heater [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

It's in the dash, straight in front of you, underneath the seat heater
switches.

It looks like this:
http://www.thesaabsite.com/shop/catimages/thumbnails/9000sw3.jpg

With care, you should be able to get at it by gently prising out the
heater switches & surrounding panels. The sensor grille pops off from
the front, but the main body has to be squeezed / pushed back. If you
can't manage, give it a blast of compressed air & a squirt of silicon
oil etc, that normally cures it for a couple of thousand miles Wink

mdb wrote:
> No, I'm not sure that the problem is in the blower. How do I locate/access
> that air temp sensor fan? Behind one of the directional plastic grills? or
> up on top of the dash, just below the windshield? This could be one of those
> Eureka! moments. Thanks.
>
> "Nasty Bob" wrote in message
>
> >
> > mdb wrote:
> > One other item that I could fix at the same time
> >> would be a squeaky blower motor, probably the bearing.
> >
> > Hi Michael, I've got a '96 Aero & just went through the whole heater
> > matrix replacement thing a couple of weeks ago. The scrapes and bruises
> > have just about healed Wink As others have said, it's not obvious, so pay
> > attention to the various write-ups and you should be fine. Took me 3
> > hours, but reckon I could do it in under a hour now I know what to
> > expect.
> >
> > The squeaking by the way.. are you sure it's not the little air temp
> > sensor fan behind the plastic grille on your dash?? These are notorious
> > for squeaking / chirping, but can be easily cleaned / oiled Smile
> >
 >> Stay informed about: leak in heater 
Back to top
Login to vote
mdb

External


Since: Mar 02, 2005
Posts: 15



(Msg. 8) Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:11 pm
Post subject: Re: leak in heater [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

No, I'm not sure that the problem is in the blower. How do I locate/access
that air temp sensor fan? Behind one of the directional plastic grills? or
up on top of the dash, just below the windshield? This could be one of those
Eureka! moments. Thanks.

"Nasty Bob" wrote in message

>
> mdb wrote:
> One other item that I could fix at the same time
>> would be a squeaky blower motor, probably the bearing.
>
> Hi Michael, I've got a '96 Aero & just went through the whole heater
> matrix replacement thing a couple of weeks ago. The scrapes and bruises
> have just about healed Wink As others have said, it's not obvious, so pay
> attention to the various write-ups and you should be fine. Took me 3
> hours, but reckon I could do it in under a hour now I know what to
> expect.
>
> The squeaking by the way.. are you sure it's not the little air temp
> sensor fan behind the plastic grille on your dash?? These are notorious
> for squeaking / chirping, but can be easily cleaned / oiled Smile
>
 >> Stay informed about: leak in heater 
Back to top
Login to vote
Display posts from previous:   
Related Topics:
"99 Saab oil leak - What to do? Car has only 47,000 miles. Mega bucks to just take out & look. Any suggestions?

2003 9-5 leak help - :( can I put lucas stop leak in this car to stop a crank shaft seal leak

my 99 viggen wont start overheated major leak help!!! - hey guys i have some questions about my 99 viggen. for a rfew day when i would go to start the car it would crank but take abiout 6 seconds to turn over.....also i have a nast coolant leak(start out small and i would have to fill the coolant every other....

95' 900s Sunroof stuck! - My saab 900's power sunroof is currently not making me happy. usually when i try to close it, it moves a few inches then stops. Eventually it would close but only after you flick the switch about 8 times. But now the sunroof is stuck halfway closed. It..

1988 Saab 900 5 speed questions - I recently got a 1988 Saab 900 5 speed 163k miles for free. It has been sitting for over a year but it started up with a fresh battery and some fresh gas. I was told by the owner that the cluth was bad and needed to be replaced. After getting it warme...
   AutoBoardz (Home) -> Saab All times are: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum



[ Contact us | Terms of Service/Privacy Policy ]